Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Ins, Outs, & Roundabouts

Been having a "different lenses,new day" type of second look at my blog, and have noticed just how much of a joy it used to be creating special weekly content on here...

In addition to regular posts, there were times when I'd would rhapsodize about a particular event, movie,tune, or whatever tomfoolery that struck my fancy.

I like that type of silly knockoff investigative reporting..

Got to thinking that I would probably dig getting back into the saddle of doing some of those..

For instance, I haven't done a weekend confection...in years. Same for time out for cool peeps.And it doesn't even have to be as involved as those. I also used to introduce music/bands that amused or surprised me mostly because...

1. They were modern.
..and
2. They didn't suck.

With that in mind, I'd like to take a little sentimental trip back and do a quick one for this week.

Our featured tune timer out-er?

Shiny Toy Guns- Wait For Me..

If you're not familiar(and really why should you be..unless you're just really up with obscure modern tunes..or you happen to know modern music at all..eh..nevermind..I see that I'm alone in this..end of rant.),these folks did a cover of "Major Tom", which admittedly was an obsession of mine for a few(maybe longer than a few perhaps..).

Their version didn't really hold a candle to the original(Really though how would that even be possible?), instead was a curious yet altogether unnecessary alternative.

"Wait For Me" came up randomly on my Google Play...as I had managed,on one of my many music raiding sojourns to the local library, to rip/upload one of their albums with the lily white legality of a sidewalk merchant turning a quick buck selling tasty snickerdoodles.

......


The song turns out to be surprisingly earwormy after you get past some awful crap at the very beginning of the tune.

A little known fact about me:

I really don't care for singers whispering nonsense in my ear or some weird dude shouting.

Normally this sort of tune wouldn't appeal to me whatsoever(probably elicit some creative profanities and get thrown somewhere..truth be told.)...especially with it being something modern as I have so little respect for the current medium...more on that some other time (but careful, I tend to be very thorough on that point..understatement coughcough.)

So..by a level of indifference to the background noise of the moment, I managed to get past the creepy vocal nonwords and emo guy yelling...after that, not too bad.

Almost.. catchy.

Give it a go if you're feeling brave-

And if not, you can go drifting.. falling..floating.. weightless with the original "Major Tom"...which never fails to impress.

Thank you, Peter Schilling, for having the foresight to rip off an abandoned character and crafting that sexy synth chorus.

Bravo, sir.

Seriously..what a wonder that one hit is-

1 comment:

Lyndsie said...

Does this mean the next week or two will be The Resurgence Of Major Tom? I laughed about the whisperer and the emo yeller. They don't really float my boat either.