Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weekend Confection: #3

Hello, my children. It has been sometime since your Uncle Sexy blogged his confectionary weekend offering, and so with a sincere countenance and a contented heart, I humbly present unto you this week's nominee:




Eddie and the Cruisers!







It's a tale of mystery, of intrigue, times of musical change, of youth, of friendships made and lost forever in the summery tale of a band, its leader, and the moments they shared in the summer of 63--on the shores of Jersey. (It was pretty once, for reals.)

Eddie (played to the hilt and lip synched amazingly by Michael Pare) is the lone rocker with a vision; to be "remembered for the music or not at all." He and his musical partner, Sal, head up The Cruisers, a Jersey band with a sound ahead of its time.(Soundtrack is pretty damn great..Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band's sole contribution to good music, the rest of their catalogue doesn't thrill me to be honest..but this was their gem.) But it wasn't just about the music.. it was the story that makes this movie stand out--On the quest to find his perfect sound, Eddie and the band embark on a year's journey creating an album 20 years ahead of its time. It was said to be fashioned after a deceased poet's final work(Arthur Rimbaud) at 19---"A Season in Hell". The story is told by Frank Ridgeway, one of the original Cruisers, and the lyrical voice behind all of Eddie's best numbers.

The album is missing. The conspiracy begins. Who has the lost tapes? Is Eddie still alive? Why does Sal look like such a schmuck when he puts together a band and calls them "The Cruisers" to make a buck? Is there a real "Season in Hell" album I could buy?

All good questions. Watch the movie. It'll suck you in..

Your Uncle S wouldn't steer you wrong.

Before long, you'll be a Cruiser too, trust me.

3 comments:

Lyndsie said...

I want to believe my Uncle wouldn't lead me astray, but after POTP, I'm afraid. But...you know...this movie sounds pretty great. I do believe I will be giving it a whirl.

Joshua said...

Wow.. Bringing up past movie errors, huh? No problem, kiddo. Just don't expect me to sit through PS I Love You or that magical movie featuring an all Osmond soundtrack. Or worse yet, that damn Napoleon movie.. Solid gold sh**, Maestro. :)

You'll note that POTP didn't make the confection list. Only those that truly deem worth of the title are included. Phantom of the Paradise is just a personal fav of mine.

The Cruisers are great.

Lyndsie said...

Duh. You just totally disrespected "On Our Own." I can't believe it. :( ha ha ha.